Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The First Ultrasound

Apologies to all those whom I promised would get to see baby pictures yesterday. I fully intended on putting the pictures up but the day just got away from me!
Our ultrasound visit was at 10:00am yesterday. On the drive over, I was contemplating whether or not I wanted to know for certain I was having a girl. (All of my dreams and gut feelings thus far have pointed me - without a doubt - to the fact that we are having a girl). The funny thing is, on the way to the doctor, I did not care any more if it was a surprise or not because I just knew what it was. (Alex likes to say that temptation just got the better of me... but I don't listen to him.)

When we went into the room, the very first question from the ultrasound tech was of course "Do you want to know the sex?" I looked at Alex and said, "All he's going to do is confirm it's a girl." This comment of course made him want to know right then, just so he could prove me wrong. The tech placed the monitor on my belly and as soon as he did he started cracking up. There she was, her legs spread wide open for the "camera" revealing that my intuition is not in need of a tune up.

Our beautiful little girl sat perfectly still during the entire process, occasionally stretching a leg or moving an arm (she was resting with her arms above her head which is exactly how Alex and I both sleep... weird!). The crazy thing was, whenever the ultrasound tech would say he needed her to move to a different position, she would move for him, and he never needed to move the monitor! It sounds insane but he even said it was like she could hear him. (Which means Alex and I already need to make sure we start watching what we say!)

Alex and I watched her heart beating, her spine moving, and her hand waving. The visit was completely humbling and absolutely amazing. We left the doctor's office in a state of awed silence, I think we couldn't (and still can't) believe how life changing this whole experience has been. Each little situation makes us that much more excited to be parents and the anticipation is intoxicating.

2 comments:

Cori said...

Oh J, I'm so thrilled for you both that you're having a girl!! I'm sure she will be absolutely beautiful :) I'm so happy you're gonna be a mommy, though I've always known you would make a fantastic parent! Can't wait to hear more, miss you tons. Much love!

Unknown said...

Wow! That is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen.
She has your eyes, Jess and a nose like Alex. She is absolutely gorgeous!