Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Caffeine and Belly Buttons

I realize what I am about to say is going to sound like bad parenting already. Many of you are going to think, "why would you do such a thing?" or "that doesn't sound like a very good excuse". Well, all I have to say is oh well, because I'm doing it, it's working, and that's all that matters.
I have reached the stage in pregnancy where doctor's advise you begin "counting kicks". It is supposed to help keep track of your baby's movement or at least make sure it's still alive and kicking (haha). To be honest, and this is where my bad mommy badge is awarded, I don't have the time or the desire to sit there and pay attention to her womb spasms. Besides, she doesn't even kick as much as they say she is supposed to anyway which means I would just have to pay attention even more to when she is moving. BORING! There had to be a more efficient way to make sure this biscuit is baking.
Enter Starbucks. (Or for those of you who would like to pretend I am not using a large corporate coffee conglomerate and instead have opted to support the small business owner... Enter Mama Joe's Coffee Shop). Either way, caffeine has been asked to step up to the plate. Hold on to your knickers and before you start emailing me hate mail, hear me out. I do not do this every day and when I do it is only half caff (a nice balance between decaf and full caffeine) and it is a small cup. Furthermore, if it were 1950 you would not be saying anything about this issue and wondering why I am not continuing to smoke a pack of Marlboro's every day. So there.
End result... the girl loves it! She moves at the speed/intensity the doctors are looking for and - funniest part- the coffee gives her the hiccups. I had not felt that sensation previously and it is very cool. In short, my soapbox stance is this - to monitor the health and well being of my precious little sack of gooey baby I have introduced her to the wonderful world of vanilla lattes and I'll be darned if she doesn't enjoy it.

Oh yeah, on a separate note, my belly button looks FREAKY! I truly believe that having a pregnant woman's belly button pop out is God's way of reminding up we actually have to clean inside there. I'll admit it, I found some surprises - lost socks, a letter I intended to mail, some lint. (First two = false, last one = definitely). It's an uncharted territory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

high jess i know i already commented you the other day but i like watching you daughter grow.i love how much jokes you can put in these thigns .well any ways you baby looks big an i actually have a question regarding school. Well you see i Mr. Dure for spanish and i asked him what th ruler was for so he said "ohh you dont know ask jessica" so every day i walk in he askes me if have talk to you. soooooo the next time you talk to mom wil you please tell her and have her pass it to me and if you forget you can call me any time but not until 3:30 because that is when i get out of school, or at least when i get home. if you cant call text. i know its is silly but i was wondering. i love you

rachel m forman