Thursday, May 14, 2009

Our Rollie-Pollie

The name Rollie-Pollie (or Rolly Polly... I don't even know if those are real words but I have said them many times) definitely fits Miss Addie for several reasons.
1. Her thighs... talk about rolls. I mean this girl has definitely got some chunky little legs on her and I love it! She is also sporting what I like to refer to as a "ghetto booty". She did not get that from my side.
2. She rolled over today! It all came about as we were lying on the bed playing with a toy. I set her an arms length away from me and little by little she wiggled her way over to me. Then as she was reaching for her thumb she pushed off with her leg and flipped herself all the way over from her back to her belly. I think the whole experience shocked her a little bit, but the thumb quickly soothed the situation and she fell asleep. I was so excited at first but now I realize... with her even the tiniest bit mobile I cannot leave her random places anymore. (Not that I am a negligent parent but now I have to be extra careful.)

After attending a sustainable tourism conference today, I have a renewed sense of how important it is to be a good steward. I have always known it's necessary and have tried (albeit half heartedly at times) to be a conscious earth-saver, but there are so many times I allow life to get in the way. But I have new priorities now. Most importantly, I want to make sure I am passing positive values on to my child. Yeah, it may be a bit early to have her sorting through recycling; but I don't think it is too early to have her start exploring the world around her. My wish is that she becomes someone who has a respect for the environment. So, in the spirit of stewardship, this weekend Addie and I are going to a local farmer's market as well as get our own garden in order this season. I have just been waiting for the opportunity to get to one of the local farmers markets and now I finally have the chance!

No comments: