Today is my 26th birthday. To be honest I did not even realize my birthday was approaching until my husband mentioned it. (Brownie points to him for remembering!)
Don't get me wrong, I am not a person who dreads birthdays with an "oh damn I am so old waa waa" kind of attitude. I don't crawl in the closet and sob when the 13th of June pops up on the calendar.
In the past, in my youth (ha!), I couldn't wait for this day and I would start preparations and planning around, oh say the 13th of January. That's also because I was six... there wasn't much else going on in my life besides birthday parties and snack time.
Now, the birthday has taken on a more appreciative tone. I appreciate the fact that I have an amazing family and fabulous friends in my life. I am thankful that I have made it to 26 in a healthy body and (somewhat) sound mind. I couldn't ask for anything more in my life. Don't tell my husband.... but there is no greater gift that to be blessed with another amazing year like the one I've just had. See, my darling life partner is on an endless quest to find the greatest gift ever, so why spoil his valiant efforts?! :)
Speaking of awesome family time, last weekend AG and I went to Chicago to visit my family and to celebrate my sister's graduation. Much to everyone's delight Addie was a natural performer. All smiles and sunshine (as long as I was in the room). You can't fault her for wanting me to be around though, I freakin' rock as a mom. Anyway, we were able to visit with five generations of family and it was fabulous. I am sure this is the point where my mother wishes I would insert the "I wish we lived closer" comment.
Not gonna happen.
Mwuahahaha
Getting back to my sweet angel face, she was also a delight on the plane. I was beyond worried that I would suffer a PTSD episode at the airport (remember our last 45 minute flight to Chicago turned into an 8-hour-near-death-trip trapped inside the plane). There was even a point I caught myself humming and meditating before getting onto the giant steel bird. However, both flights were spectacular and Addie was particularly enthralled with the return flight because we were able to sit in between two men. And she loves older men. Again, don't tell my husband.
As our feet once again touched Tennessee soil I already had dreams of my bed dancing through my head. We waited patiently right outside the plane for our car seat and stroller. The patience left after 30 minutes. Nearly 40 minutes went by until the attendant finally admitted they had neither the stroller OR the car seat. But I could get a loaner at the gate, and he was sure ours would turn up eventually. FML.
Addie was loving it. Walk through the airport you say? Weave in and out of other passengers as you struggle to run along side me, meekly apologizing as you cut people off and run into their legs? Squirm and wiggle like a damn trout when you attempt to carry me? Of course I will perform all of these tasks - and I'll do it with a smile! The only time she paused to let me wipe the sweat from my brow was in front of the Orchid Lounge. A wannabe Nashville-star was singing his heart out strumming his guitar. My wannabe band-aid began to spin in circles, twirl her dress and clap her hands along to the song. If she had a hat, I swear people would have started throwing in money.
Finally we made it to baggage claim, reported our luggage and received our rental car seat. I was SOL about the loaner stroller. Then the long walk back to the car carrying both toddler, car seat and carry-on baggage began. There are no words to express the amount of sweat that was coming out of me.
Thankfully the kind courier at Southwest delivered our belongings to our doorstep that evening. I was unable to thank him in person however because at that point I was passed out on the sofa, feet aching, most likely drooling and dreaming of the days when my travels only included a backpack, possibly some underwear and a magazine.

No comments:
Post a Comment