Sunday, November 28, 2010

Confession Sunday

I called in sick to church. Bad. I was supposed to teach Sunday school. Even worse. My co-teacher, my husband, also faked illness. Oh Lord.
Who does that?!

We have no {good} excuse. Boils and lightning and all sorts of plague are going to rain down on our street now, I just know it.

But in my defense, it's been a long time coming. (The calling in sick not the pestilence)

We have been struggling with our church. Mainly because we don't speak to any other members of the congregation. It's a small piece that creates a big impact. The fault lies on both sides {theirs and ours}. My husband can't see himself drinking a beer with anyone {the most basic of his human interaction levels} and therefore has no desire to attempt friendship. I find the odd sense of cattiness between the women disturbing and not at all appealing. Our love of the sermons, the message, and the challenge we leave with every Sunday to become better Christians can't erase the basic fellowship that's severely lacking.

I am not alone in my distaste. Others are facing similar struggles at their own place of worship. More often it's the people, not the pulpit, with whom they find grievance. Of course this solid evidence and research comes from coffee talks with friends, magazine articles, blogs and some good ol fashion Facebook spying.

To me, it boils down to this - the reason a church not only survives but thrives is the congregation. You can go anywhere for a sermon. You can hear a sermon online, read it in a book, there's even an app for that. People go to church because they want the human connection. Therefore a church needs to be a place of open hearts and acceptance. I don't want to play the "Judge Thee Up and Down Game" upon walking in the front door.

I am not concerned that we have moved back to square one. We'll find our place and it will be at the perfect moment. Until then I will enjoy my blessings: an extra 30 minutes of sleep and warm cup of coffee on a cold Sunday morning that will be thoroughly enjoyed in my slippers and flannel pants.

No comments: