Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Due Date

Yesterday was Addison's due date. Today I am at work, still having contractions, still 5-7 minutes apart (this has been going on since Sunday). Although their intensity is increasing, I am refusing to go to the hospital until I have to literally crawl in there. On Monday, during our 40 week visit, they gave us a non-stress test to monitor her heart rate while I was having contractions. Well, every time a contraction would occur her heart rate would drop dramatically. So they sent us down to Labor & Delivery. They monitored our situation as well (in total it was about 4 hours worth of laying in a bed hooked up to these darn monitors). The L&D doctor came in and through an ultrasound determined that the cord is under her armpit, which is the cause for why her HR keeps dropping when she is being squeezed. But it is no big deal. He told us he would admit us that night, but we declined. I did not want to lay in their beds anymore, I just wanted to go home. He told us that if the contractions intensified, we should come back in.

That night and all through Tuesday morning, the contractions were getting stronger. Alex and I got everything together, did some last minute things around town, and went in to the hospital. They put us back on the monitors for two hours. The midwife on duty came in and said that although I was having contractions every 3-5 minutes, the ones that were actually changing my situation (or causing me to dilate) were every 5-7 minutes. She said we could stay, but if in a few hours the progress wasn't significant enough, they would start Pitocin. I declined the offer and again we went home.
It would be a different situation if I were not dilated or effaced, uncomfortable, or even just sick of being pregnant. But nothing has really been that bad and my body is naturally progressing on its own. Why not just let it do its thing? Poor Alex is making himself physically ill because of all the anxiety and anxiousness. For now, though, we are just sitting back and playing the waiting game.

1 comment:

Cori said...

Aww Jess, you poor thing! You must be so ready to meet your little one! I'm glad things are progressing naturally, they induced my sister and she was in sooo much pain after that she wished she had never allowed it. I'm sure she'll make her appearance when she's ready :) Thinking of you lots!