Sunday, May 9, 2010

Your Kind of Mommy



Addie has a great book called "Your Kind of Mommy".

In it there are all sorts of different mommies: a bee, an octopus, a wallaby, etc. that have special characteristics unique to caring for their babies. After the introduction of each new mommy the author repeats "but I'm not that kind of mommy and I know my [fill in various attributes here] will do". The book ends with "I'm your kind of mommy and that's the best that I can be".

No crying you sappy waa-waas out there.

The best that you can be. Well, what if you suck at being a parent? What new mother hasn't stared at her bulging belly or her tiny fresh from the womb infant and wondered, "What if I screw something up? What if this kid doesn't like me?" Trust me, if you are the best that you can be then that is all they need.

The point is, as a mother, no one expects perfection. Mistakes are made, things don't turn out as planned, but you persevere. Just ask your own mother if she has ever made mistakes or mishaps in her parenting career. I am sure she has a few stories. But you still think she's awesome. That's because mothers are the masters of thinking on their feet, trusting their gut instinct and making something work from nothing. They teach you about life, love and all the lessons you sometimes wish you didn't have to sit through. But we always appreciate them in the end.

So on Mother's Day, thank your mommy, because she was the best that she could be. And she did it all for you.

1 comment:

CrystaL said...

Jessica Forman-Goldber,

Since when are you such a good writer? You made me get all warm and fuzzy inside. I know you have given it your all to motherhood and that as soon as baby Addie speaks conversations, she will be able to thank you. I know for sure I will be calling you for advise when I become a mommy. In the meantime, HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!