Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Book Review


I just finished "This is Where I Leave You" by Jonathan Tropper.
Synopsis: The Foxman family has just lost their father to cancer. This completely dysfunctional group of characters must come together amidst their own personal struggles and sit shiva for seven days. The long-standing unspoken feuds that have existed between them for years are heartbreakingly hilarious. I laughed out loud. I loved this book for its wit, sarcasm and honest look at life.
It did leave me searching for a bit more closure, however. The ending was equivalent to a "well the book has to finish at some point let's stop here". I suppose one could argue that's life as well. Abrupt, unexpected, loose ends flying everywhere. Yet it's frustrating nonetheless.
In book world, as in movie world, I need finality. One way or another, someone needs to make a decision, wrap it all up and move on. Take for instance, the completely ridiculous last minute love profession that ends in years of happily ever after. Or the one-armed six-bullets-left hero who somehow manages to take down the entire onslaught of bad guys {whether or not they're armed with RPGs and tanks}. These endings, although far-fetched and unrealistic, leave me with one less thing I have to worry about.
Now I'm left curious as to what happens to Judd Foxman and I know there won't be a sequel! But I still recommend it for an easy read that makes you thankful you're not "that family".
{image courtesy of www.jonathantropper.com}

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, nice! I love a good book review; I'll have to add this to my ever-growing list of books to inhale over Christmas break :) And I don't know much about sitting shiva, so that should be interesting. Danka!