Friday, November 21, 2008

Diabetes Free!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I passed my 3-hour glucose tolerance test yesterday! It was definitely a trying experience (by the end of the test I had not eaten in 13 hours and only had a giant ball of glucose flavored fruit punch sitting in my stomach). But I made it through and Addison and I can breathe easy - although I'll be doing most of the breathing. On the plus side, after having my blood drawn 5 separate times in one day I am no longer leery of needles... not a fan but not squeamish at least.
Baby class last night was all about c-sections and complications during pregnancy. Not really something anyone wants to think about, but better to be prepared than surprised. Some of those stories though.... wow! Babies that are breech can actually stick their feet outside of their mother, umbilical cords that fall out, and one story about a baby that came face first (but I guess that is not very common). The entire class is sitting there open-mouthed and wide-eyed wondering what crazy situations their baby is going to put them through.
Our instructor also told stories about all of the different things women brought in with them to the delivery room. Besides the obvious, like pillows and massagers some people get really creative. One woman brought in a crock pot of beef stew because that was the smell that relaxed her. Another woman brought in ten hours of her favorite TV show on DVD and watched the entire thing; then was surprised when the doctors told her to turn it off because she needed to start pushing. I have already figured out that pregnant woman can be a little different or quirky, but women in labor can be nuts! But I guess if it works for you, then do it!

No comments: